(Hour 3b) Rich talked to Kristen Taylor, who is the Assistant Business Manager of the Howard Gospel Choir of Howard University. They spoke about Gospel as an art form, ties to the African American community, their upcoming performance and more. Tune in to get all of the details!
HOWARD GOSPEL CHOIR of Howard University
GLORIOUS GOD CD RELEASE – Media Talking Points
GLORIOUS GOD ALBUM HIGHLIGHTS
§ In 2014 the choir recorded their first full length album in almost two decades entitled Glorious God. The album was released in April 2016. The album is currently available on all digital platforms (Itunes, Amazon, Google Play) and streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal). The album is also available for purchase at: howardgospelchoir.com/gloriousgod.
Music available at:
CD Baby: http://smarturl.it/GloriousGod_cdbaby
Google Play: http://smarturl.it/gloriousgod_gplay
Glorious God Physical Copies: http://smarturl.it/GloriousGod
HGC Store: http://howardgospelchoir.com/store
§ The album is a diverse collective of musical offerings that reflect the choir’s rich musical legacy including spirituals, anthems and contemporary gospel.
§ The album was produced by both musical directors, Reginald Golden and Darrell Brown along with Kevin Golden and Grammy Award and Stellar Award winning Kevin Bond is serving as the production advisor.
§ The album, Glorious God, has been nominated in two categories for the Stellar Awards and four categories for the Rythym & Gospel Awards.
§ Musical highlights from the album include:
– EVEN ME, a traditional hymn arrangement penned by Michael Reid is one of the choir’s most request songs. Live clips of the choir’s performance of this song on the choir’s youtube page have garnered over 300k views.
– GLORIOUS GOD the title track of the album penned by producers Reginald Golden and Kevin Golden is an upbeat contemporary gospel selection that the choir has shared with both national and international audiences.
– IN BRIGHT MANSIONS a spiritual arranged by world renowned composer, arranger and conductor, Roland Carter, demonstrates the choir’s versatility and tribute to the musical legacy of the choir and the richness of sacred music.
– GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS based on the traditional hymn and arranged by Anthony T. Parker, is a crowd favorite. The song’s simple arrangement and message transforms every audience into a choir. Often the closing song to most concerts, audiences can hardly avoid chiming in.
§ The contributors to this project are a reflection of the choir’s wide reach. The members represent regions from all over the nation and the same holds true for the producers, musicians, soloists and songwriters. Most of the contributors were from Howard University but there was representation from various Historically Black Colleges and Universities including Morehouse College, Morgan State University, Mississippi Valley State and Wilberforce University.
§ Some of the featured soloists include:
– BET Sunday Best Season 7 Winner, Stellar Nominated and Fo Yo Soul Recording Artist GEOFFREY GOLDEN on the song Rain and songwriter of Celebrate the Wonder and co-songwriter of He Loves.
– BET Sunday Best Season 7 contestant and Howard University student AYODELE OWOLABI on the song All The Glory.
– BET Sunday Best All Star (Season 8) Runner Up and Season 2 contestant, Howard University alum and former Musical Director of the Howard Gospel Choir CLIFTON ROSS III on the song Anoint Me Now.
– Grammy Nominated songwriter and Stellar Nominated artist and Morgan State University Alumna BRITTNEY WRIGHT on the song He Loves.
GENERAL INFORMATION (HIGHLIGHTS) ABOUT THE CHOIR
§ Formed on the campus of Howard University in 1968, the Howard Gospel Choir of Howard University (HGC) is a body of students, alumni and members of the community, dedicated to using the gift of music to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. As one of the first college gospel choirs, HGC is a trailblazer for all Gospel music ministries across collegiate campuses
in the nation. The choir is a religious life organization under the auspices of the Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel where the Rev. Dr. Bernard Richardson is the Dean.
§ The choir is currently under the musical direction of Reginald Golden, a Howard University graduate from University Heights, OH. Darrell Brown, also an alumnus of Howard University is the assistant musical director.
§ Internationally, the choir is known as cultural ambassadors sharing gospel music through educational workshops and concerts in various countries. The choir’s international travel includes the following: Italy, Slovakia, the Republic of Georgia, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden and Croatia. And most recently (2015) Macedonia, Romania, Colombia, Panama and in February (2016) Peru, Belize, Uruguay the Czech Repulic, Luxembourg, Slovakia and Austria.
§ The choir was featured in two (2) major network television specials:
The 2016 Kennedy Center Honors (https://youtu.be/zwCg-6WMh9Q). The choir performed during the tributes to Mavis Staples and James Taylor.
The choir was also featured on the Taking the Stage presentation that celebrated the opening of the Smithsonian National Museum of African History and Culture. This event was co-produced by Quincy Jones and the star studded performers including Usher, Patti Austin, Mary J. Blige, the Alvin Ailey Dancers, Stevie Wonder and more. Special guests include 44th President Barack Obama and Michele Obama. (https://youtu.be/B7U65k1rQIE).
§ Highlights from the choir’s local appearances include a special invitation from President Barack Obama to appear at both the 2015 and 2016 annual Easter Prayer Breakfast events at the White House. The choir has also headlined two standing room only crowds at the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
§ The choir celebrates the accomplishments of alumni from various backgrounds, including Grammy Award winners Richard Smallwood and Core Cotton of the Sounds of Blackness, as well as Elbernita “Twinkie” Clark and Angela Winbush.
§ The choir hopes that every audience that experiences the Howard Gospel Choir of Howard University will leave inspired, encouraged and re-fueled. Every performance is an exchange between the audience and the choir; everyone does a little singing, a little rocking, and more.
§ For more information about the Howard Gospel Choir of Howard University please contact us at 202 758 5193 or [email protected] You can also stay connected with the choir on all of your favorite social media outlets. Please visit the links below: www.youtube.com/HowardGospelChoir | www.facebook.com/HowardGospelChoir www.instagram.com/HowardGospelChoir | www.twitter.com/HGC196