Home Forums Live Blog Forum Budget Address of Mayor Ted Gatsas on 3/31/14

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrice Benard 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

O’Neil, Corriveau absent

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Calls for end to politics, focus on solutions. His involvement doesn’t end with proposal.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

2.13% tax increase, meets the cap. total spending increase of about $4 million.

Cuts schools by $500k from proposal made by Superintendent.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

it is my hope that as a Board we will choose to forgo the typical political paralysis that plagues the budget process and instead leave here this evening recognizing our challenges, having a common understanding of where we are at and work together to find sustainable solutions.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

What school budget will still do:

•Hire new positions for full day kindergarten at all elementary schools;
    •Hire new positions at MST and for class size reduction and other needs;
    •Add assistant principals at both the high school and elementary level;
    •Continue to upgrade and advance technology within the schools;
    •With the approval of a bond we will purchase 10 new buses and replace buses that have been in service for 22 years, which typically have a 7-12 year life-span thus decreasing our maintenance and fuel costs.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

In this FY2015 municipal budget every city department has been allocated an additional 1% in funding.

For Chief Mara and the Manchester Police Department this will mean an increased compliment to 227 officers for the first time ever with the ability to reduce overtime and no layoffs;

For Chief Burkush and the Manchester Fire Department this number can be met and that safety of the city maintained with a 42 man complement with no layoffs

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

might be nice if Hirschmann paid attention to the mayor instead of giving looks and nods to Levasseur.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Budget still has $6 million shortfall. Eliminate contingency and severance. If not funded, will have to be absorbed by the departments.

Proposes to use all surplus for Health Insurance Trust Fund to offset $3m shortfall

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

My fellow colleagues I wish that I could stand here and tell you that there will be significant additional surplus and new savings so that we will be able to close this gap and fix the problem on the city-side but I can not.

As I said when I started my address for the betterment of the Queen City we must end the political paralysis and commit ourselves to finding a sustainable solution.

Levasseur muttering under his breath with “that look” on his face…

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Corrivea has arrived.

city received $72 million in requests for funds form outside agencies…wow. Could only fund $2.4 million.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Within your budget package there’s a proposal of $3.7 million in new capital expenditures. They include:
    •$1.3 million for a new Computer Aided Dispatch or CAD system – this is a critical need for police and fire which effects the safety of the city. The current system was installed in 2007 and has not been updated to date;
    •$935,000 for City Hall Maintenance, Updates and Repairs: Since this building was rehabbed under the Wieczorek administration it has only seen cosmetic fixes. The City Clerk along with the city facilities department has outlined necessary and needed building maintenance. Also included in this request are equipment items needed for election activities;
    •$650,000 for a city IT equipment upgrade: This will be used for upgraded phone systems, computer and data storage equipment and overall technology upgrades throughout the city;
    •$319,000 for Fleet Maintenance Software so we can begin to track and develop our cost structure to attract other government entities so we can manage and support their fleet, bill for service and see new revenue come into the city;
    •$70,000 for a much needed security system at the Main Branch of the City Library;
    •We also continue to bond the MER account for $3 million approximately $2.1 million to vehicle replacement and an additional $900,000 to road repairs combined with the CIP funding of $300,000 this is approximately $1.2 million in road repairs and reconstruction.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

To my colleagues, Department Heads, residents and taxpayers of the Queen City my goal this evening was to be upfront and open about what lies ahead of us. The task is nothing less than daunting but I contend that if we work together, we can, and we will, solve this problem.

A sustainable solution will require each of us to come to the table with a blank slate and an open-mind. We need to consider all of our options and we need to be respectful of the options others bring to the table as well as their opinions. Certainly these decisions will not be easy – but they are necessary. Let’s get to work and let’s make this work – we owe that to everyone in this city.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

meeting adjourned.

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Okay then. That was clear and concise. So be it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.