Home Forums Live Blog Forum Manchester BOSC Meeting, 4/9/18

This topic contains 40 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Patrice Benard 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #63780

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Gerald …. Ward 1 parent. Wants to talk about Special Education. Noticed some Board members have not been paying attention tonight. You should. You need to listen to special ed staff, not hire outside people, to find out what is needed. There is staff you hired, who are not doing their job. IEPs are not being followed. Hours of service are not being given and if parents find out, it will cost this city even more. Putting special ed students out in pods on playground, then expect them to go in for classes, is wrong. Of course they want to play. Unrealistic.

    #63781

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    8:25 pm. End Public Forum. Recess to meet with counsel. (So I’m going to go tuck my youngest in and will try to keep an eye open for when they return.)

    #63782

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    8:47 pm- they are already back….. not sure when they came back as I was making supper.

    #63783

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Discussing conditions of the buildings. Cleaning.

    Ms. DeFrancis – qtrly surveys going out to principals about their buildings. Buildings & Sites Comm has asked for this and it will be provided to them.

    Georges – has seen some areas of concern in buildings she has visited.

    Ah, this is in response to the pictures Aramark posted as to the work they did over vacation.
    (This was Item 17 on the Agenda)

    #63784

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Item 18a – motion passes to move it to Finance.

    Supt’s Communication-

    Girard will give his Redistricting Proposal first, to be followed by Dr. Vargas. (see the Agenda for the slides.) Thanks Dr Vargas for allowing him to give his presentation to the community as well. Concerned that the Vargas plan will not free up enough space at Northwest. (stepping away for a moment)

    #63785

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Terrio asks about how this will affect the East Side. Girard explains, emphasizing that the new number is 192 who want to go to MST, and fears that putting preschool at MMHS will limit the expansion of MST and they will not be able to accept all students who apply.

    Terrio asks Vargas if he considered the Girard proposal…. and my stream went black….

    #63786

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Dr Vargas now presenting. Again, read the slides yourself. (I don’t understand why grown adults feel the need to read slides to us?) He is still reading slides……

    #63787

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Over 20 minutes reading slides…

    (So, some personal thoughts as he continues to read the slides. Vargas, and others, continue to brag about PV’s multi-age classrooms. Vargas goes so far to say it is like the Montessori model. I would like to see the data. They do district wide assesments every 4-6 wks. They do the i-READY testing every trimester. Will someone PLEASE publish the results of both of these tests for every elementary school? Only once we can compare the results, can we really say whether or not this is working. Sorry, I’m not taking anybody’s word on this. I want the figures.) Almost 30 minutes now, reading the slides

    #63788

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Avard makes sure to clarify that these budget implications are for fiscal yr 18-19.

    #63789

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Vargas, on one of these last slides, talks about graduation rates, and students getting a certificate of employablity. ( What is that? I want my kids to get a well-rounded academic education, not a certificate of employability!)

    Finally on to questions…. at 9:51 pm.

    #63790

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Girard- will your plan take all those kids off the wait list at MST?

    Vargas- yes. Invites Prin. Machado to come up. She says she can fit 400 students in the MSTHS part of the building and 365 in the CTE part. Using 3 classrooms at MMHS, we can fit approx 450 into the school.

    Girard- if you put the preschool at MMHS, how many classrooms will that take? How many will it leave. Vargas – it will take 14 classrooms. Don’t know how many will be left.

    Ambrogi- this plan does not appear to address any of the overcrowding at Webster. Vargas- could look at one of the middle schools, but not next year because we don’t have the money. Allen says the current numbers for next year shows that Webster will not have a class over 25 students.

    Craig- this plan doesn’t talk about any of the schools that do not have a preschool. Vargas – would have to wait until the following year. Looking to do this city-wide, but the financial situation is keeping him from promising anything.

    #63791

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Scannell- we need to know when to follow and get out of the way. Is generally supportive of the plan. Would be sad if we did all this work and did not address the problem at NW. Vargas- they would be significantly better off next year, but doesn’t have the numbers with him.

    Scannell- also concerned, has heard from a teacher, questions about discipline issues if MST students intermingle with MMHS students…. (sorry, didn’t hear the answer – child with a nightmare)

    #63792

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Freeman – asking about if they have had a hard look at reallocating HS teachers. Vargas- we are looking to adjust according to the numbers. Rest assured, music and the arts, are not an afterthought. We have a good program, but we need an investment.

    Terrio- for Machado- what happens if we have 192 apply every year? You can’t accept that number every year? Mach- no. Last yr we had only 88. We worked to improve our visibility, but do not anticipate this happening every year. We know this will be a very fluid process. Constantly brainstorming on how we can combine classes, like we have with the humanities, to accomplish our goals.

    Terrio, for Vargas- can we hit our targets for the elementary without adding more teachers? Vargas- we are in relatively good shape now. Vargas says first we need the space, then we can hire teachers.

    Terrio- is this an all or nothing plan? Can we take some, a la carte? Vargas- would be difficult to make it work if we don’t put preschool at MMHS

    #63793

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Georges- what about the plan for staff? Vargas – you free up space and then we have to hire staff. Georges brings up substitutes. Vargas- proposing a partnership with SNHU, for subs. bringing it to C&I tomorrow night.

    Lehoux- compliments the MS principals. Has met with 3 of 4 and they have a plan to make it work. Thinks this plan addresses about 90% of the concerns. Looking forward to working with businesses to help. Only concern is the pre-K at MMHS. Doesn’t think that MST is going to see lower applications. Workforce development and the future of trades will see those applications continue to increase. Asks Avard has talked to anyone about Girard’s proposal to make Gossler a preK. Avard says it’s in Desrochers is their rep. Avard has real issues with both plans. Isolates the west side and treats them differently. Wants it to be the same throughout the city.

    Desrochers- went to the last forum. takes a lot of cues from the staff. Gossler is a community school. Would deprive them of things they have benefited from. Princ. Upham has more confidence in Vargas’ plan. Lehoux says that is how they felt at Jewett.

    #63794

    Patrice Benard
    Participant

    Bergeron- why wasn’t model considered city wide? Vargas- we had reasons for starting on west side. Given the resources available, this is what we can start with. Wants to bring this city wide, when we can afford to do it.

    Berg- looking at numbers… how will this affect? Vargas- we have made significant progress on class size this year. Berg- needs a breakdown of the MS numbers by grade. Vargas- okay. Berg- thinks it is good you are willing to wait a year. What are we going to do to address the social emotional part of that? Vargas- part of this is that we will add 4 social workers – one for each MS. This will help to get us ready.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.