Home Forums Live Blog Forum TFA Board Meeting, 1/22/18

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mlawton3 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Patrice Benard
    Participant

So, here we go. They have put us in the Upper Cafe tonight. In attendance, around the Board table, Dean Mooney opens the meeting. Hannah Marcotte leads the pledge.

She’s reading the Mission Statement.

She says the organizer of tonight’s meeting, in absence of a chair.

Matt Mercier, Vendor who provides IT services to the school for a paycheck, is present as a Voting Board Member. Kim Lavallee, who calls herself the Assistant Dean, Treasurer of the Board, Founder, Business Manager, LEA Rep for Special Ed, Director of Faculty, and collects $69,000 per year from the school, is present as a Voting Board Member. Patti Humphrey, Founder and generous donor to both the School and Foundation, as well as the founder of the NH Charter Alliance, is present as a Voting Member. Kristi Scarpone, who works as a fundraiser promoting FIRST robotics, serves on the Board of New Horizons, and has two children who just started attending TFA this school year, is present as a Voting Board Member. Maureen Mooney and Michael Gaumont are at table as ex-officio members who do not have a vote. Lauren Brouillette, Maureen’s assistant, is clerking the meeting.

Multiple Parents and planted teachers are in attendance.

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Mercier elected chair, Humphrey as Vice-Chair, after Mooney declares a quorum (questionable as there is no actual Board according to the RSA 194-B-5)

Mercier reads policy BEDH and tries to insist on only 10 minutes for public comment. (Sorry, Charlie, your policy also says that each person gets 5 minutes)

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Bob Marville: asks for clarification on wording of Roles and Duties of Board Members.

Jon DiPietro: I’m here and speaking because I care. Addresses some of the issues mentioned by the 3 members who resigned. Wants this school to succeed and needs it to succeed. Board Composition- doesn’t understand how Board is conducting business when they are in violation of the law. Board Resignations – want their allegations that were made in their mass resignation letters addressed. Loss of confidence in admin, disregard of parents, teachers browbeaten, lack of continuity, behavior of Board at mtg with Edelblut, lack of transparency, character attack. Roles of Board Members – paying for seat, and disparaging remarks. This precludes Board members from questioning whether things are done properly. Mercier claims his 5 minutes is up and argues, rudely with him.

Jane Cormier: Teacher- we keep going back, opportunity to work together to go forward. There are two sides. Many good things happening.

Susan Lawton: member of Finance Comm, talking about Nathan Weschler audit. Thanks the Board for letting us do that.

I spoke

Patrice Benard
    Participant

First Illegal vote: Adopt the minutes of 11/15.
    Second Illegal vote: Adopt 11/29 minutes

BTW, I was only given 2 minutes to speak, as the Rubber STamp of the Board chose not to extend the time period, as allowed by Policy BEDH. Also a violation of the sentence that says all speakers are given 5 minutes to speak.

Curriculum Report:

Look in the AGenda

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Mooney reads a report from the student rep, who, once again, can’t make the meeting.

Mooney refuses to read her own report, citing time. Tells us to read the item online.

Mentions her Christmas party, where teachers and staff showed up with their hands out for their Christmas ‘gift’ from Maureen. (That would be a bonus that is not being recorded in the budget)

mlawton3
    Participant

Mr. Mercier didn’t call anyone a syncophant.

mlawton3
    Participant

How do you know the teachers had their hands out? Do the teacher plants get an extra gift? I would love to teach in a school where you are appreciated?

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Kim gives the Treasurer’s Report, hitting the highlights that will make her look good. (Strange, she doesn’t mention how many times she ran to Patti Humphrey to bail her out.)

Today she wants to do Revised Budget. Have received two large payments already from state. Will have two more, smaller ones, coming. Mentions that the Rent is not set, but is from the Foundation. (Read- Patti Humphrey’s charity)

mlawton3
    Participant

Hear Hear Mr. G!

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Mercier reading from notes provided to him by Maureen Mooney. Motion to ratify agreement with Dean Eggert’s law firm. Motion passes unanimously.

Mercier says the draft of Board Duties is due to my request as chair of PSC. Yes, PSC members asked for enlightenment to share with parents.

Lavallee wants to move #9 (disparagingly) down to Duties, not Qualifications. Humphrey is up to her old tricks, mentions that parents who say the school is closing down in public, would still be qualified? Mercier claims that it’s not what you say but how you say it. Humphrey doesn’t want destructive comments. Mercier says that Marville is right and free speech is important. Gaumont says teachers want to encourage students to have free speech.

Lavallee wants to add to #8 (Qual) that one be willing to learn about the law.

Mercier wants to bring it all to committee. Humphrey- what committee? Mercier- we’ll make one.

Lavallee, doesn’t want repeats of what is already in policy. Humphrey wants it repeated.

Lavallee says it’s a draft. Humphrey wants to create a sub-committee to review this. That motion passes. (Oh my goodness. They have a Policy Committee) Mercier will chair it. Lavallee wants comments submitted in writing. (It had better be posted)

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Lavallee says Southerton is ‘volunteering’ to help with Charter Renewal. (Sorry, when you get paid it isn’t considered volunteering) ( Paid by Patti to run her NH Alliance of Charter Schools, so of course she wants her lackey on the Board. The same lackey who wouldn’t testify on behalf of Charter Parents or Charter Teachers in Concord last week, but rather sat, playing on his device while I testified)

Next Illegal Motion- Ratify the phone vote to accept the resignations.

How many illegal motions does that make now?????

mlawton3
    Participant

You seem to share a lot of information along with criticism. I’m curious as to why you are so upset with a school where the parents are able to choose whether or not their child should attend. I can only imagine how parents who don’t have the luxury of having the gift of choice would feel reading these comments.

Patrice Benard
    Participant

Illegal Motion #????- To ratify phone vote taken in December to update Indemnification Policy. That passes.

I think we are up to 7 illegal motions now.

Non-public for ….waiting for the reason… matters concerning reputation of someone that not a member of the Board.

All non-voting members will leave the room.

mlawton3
    Participant

I dont think it’s fair for you to name-call people whom you disagree with politically or philosophically. The same board you are criticizing are jumping through hoops to provide answers to your questions. Even now they provided you with clarification which you thanked them for. I think you and I should start a Crossfire type show for this site. I loved that show. Did you ever watch the McLaughlin Group on PBS? That was another great show. Have a great night. See you at the next PSC meeting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.