Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Rich Girard
    Keymaster
    Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Lots of things approved in the consent agenda. Will have to circle back and give a report later.

Looking like it just might be a really short meeting.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Long concerned about a bill that would use the Sununu Center only for violent juveniles. What does this mean for the city, the schools? Costs to the city? Impact on schools?

Don’t think he named the bill…

Could mean we have 35-40 children to deal with. Bill has come out of Finance, going to Judiciary.

Long making motion to oppose bill until municipality’s liabilities are clear and what, if anything, the state will do to fund those liabilities.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Herbert and Barry piling on. Complaining about cuts made in 2011. Barry singling out cuts to CHINS program, which really hammered the city. Barry raising legitimate concern. Saying organizations that work with the kids in question will also have a difficult time working with these kids.

Motion passes unanimously.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Long now rating HB 614, a bill on forfeiture. Says the bill will put more money into state coffers to distribute. Saying it will hurt Manchester’s enforcement efforts. In judiciary, will go to finance afterward.

AC Capano: Current system is 80/20 split. Feds get 20%, participating agencies get 80%, split between them. Bill would take anything under $100K as a state seizure, giving them 45% off the top with participating agencies getting what’s left. substantial cut to revenues for Manchester’s drug enforcement efforts.

Long moving to send a letter in opposition. Seconded by Pappas. Passes unan.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Levasseur raising the bathroom bill. How does it affect private businesses? Do we have to build a separate bathroom or can they use whatever they want? I don’t have room for another bathroom.

Is this an “equal protection bill” or is it a separate bill for bathrooms? Is there a cost associated with that?

Long: it’s adding transgender to discrimination laws.

JKL: Will it have any derivative effects on businesses?

LONG: I haven’t head it will have any effect. There’s a perception it will, but I’m not seeing it.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Cop item about hiring an officer over the compliment. Gatsas says it’s informational only and that he has the authority to do it. No vote needed. It will only be for 3 weeks.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Board just passed new parking regulations around Jewett St. and Southside. Guess my request to fast track it after the meeting was listened to. My thanks to Ald. Long for relaying it.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

O’Neil asking about Hallsville because of an email sent by Ross Terrio, School Board Ward 7. Shea saying he’s been in touch with DPW and is working on it.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

New Business.

Mayor praising DEA 360 project at SNHU Arena today. Most compelling moment was when parents came on the stage with pictures of their deceased sons and daughters.

Central won Mock Trial competition. Beat Exeter and Pinkerton. Yay.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

O’Neil asking what the deal is with the trash pilot program? People being told that if they don’t have the toters, their trash won’t be picked up. I can’t find a vote that says we’re not going to pick up their garbage.

Um, well, how do you run the pilot if the participants don’t have the proper toters? City offering them to residents in the affected wards, 6, 7, and 12, at 50% discount.

Gatsas: The intent was everybody had to participate and get a toter if they didn’t have it.

O’Neil…I got an email today from somebody who doesn’t want to buy the toter.

Long: I thought we were going to come back and decide that later.

DPW guy: We thought the mandate was clear, that everybody in the pilot areas had to have the toters. Q&A with Long to clarify.

Herbert recalls a vote to have the city buy the totes failed, which doesn’t mean necessarily that everybody has to purchase them, but that the taxpayers for the whole city weren’t going to buy them for the pilot areas. So, my understanding is that if you don’t have a tote, then your trash isn’t going to be picked up.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Hirschmann, we had heated discussion, but the primary reason was less workers comp claims and a cleaner city because we won’t have bags on the street anymore. Ordinance already says you have to have a toter for 3 units and above. 65% of people in my ward have proper toters. People can use the other cans for leaves. We’re selling them to the pilot folks for $28 and $35…a considerable discount over their former cost.

Once pilot is done, we’ll have data to know if it should be expanded. In my ward, no pushback. They’re asking me what size toter I should buy and I tell them the big one to have the capacity. We’re making progress. DPW doing a good job working with people in my ward.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

JKL: 100% support. Fliers already sent out. Already worked on it. Makes motion to notify residents that don’t have the toters that their trash won’t get picked up.

I plead with people in the city to buy these. Convenient, easy to use. helps with rodents, cleanliness, etc…Building down by my building throwing trash onto the ground, pile it into these old, decrepit barrels. We need to continue to do this. A no brainer. We need to support the program.

JKL Motion: If you don’t have the toter, your trash won’t be picked up. Hirschmann seconds.

Shea supporting…that’s key as his Ward is one affected by the pilot…saying the time lost to workers comp. will be recovered and will allow more work to get done.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Sadly, it looks like we’re going to rehash this trash debate again…They hammered away at it for about an hour or more last time it came up. This city loves to re-litigate it’s decisions.

Shea: We voted down free carts for pilot participants and we voted to cut the price in half. Shame on you for not allowing it to be free. People won’t lose their jobs because it will take 10 fewer trash guys if this goes citywide. They’ll be used in other areas. It will improve the city and save us money. Let’s support our department heads. We don’t tell the police or fire chiefs how to run their departments. Why tell the PWD? The board should support the pilot.

Rich Girard
    Keymaster

Gatsas referencing Solid Waste Committee meeting where DPW said all trash had to be in carts to be picked up. Says O’Neil was at the meeting and asking questions. So, I think it was clear what the department about the trash having to be in carts to be picked up.

Boom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.