For Immediate Release
MANCHESTER, NH July 27, 2021–Two major leaders in Manchester’s Hispanic community have endorsed Republican Richard Girard in the race for mayor.
German Ortiz is a local businessman who has worked tirelessly to help other immigrants who are new to the city. A legal immigrant from Colombia, he takes special pride in assisting those from his native land and has helped many start and manage their own family businesses.
Hon. Carlos Gonzalez, a legal immigrant from the Dominican Republic, has also helped many become familiar with their new home. He’s taken a high profile in public service, being the first Hispanic immigrant to run for alderman-at Large, mayor, commissioner of welfare and school board at-Large. He served multiple terms as a state representative and is currently a candidate for school board in Ward 12. Alderman Keith Hirschmann has nominated him to fill the unexpired term of Kelly Thomas, who resigned several weeks ago.
In announcing the endorsements, Girard praised their work in the city. “German and Carlos are prime examples of how to succeed in America. Whether one is native to our land or a legal immigrant to it, all one needs to do is to seize upon any of the abundant opportunities that exist for those who do the work and overcome the obstacles that are bound to come one’s way, however unfair they may be. Carlos and German have set the example for any citizen to follow: work hard, play by the rules, help others, stay focused on your goals and leave your community better for having been there. I am proud to have them on my team!”
Their statements, in both English and Spanish, are below:
They join 23 others who’ve announced their support for Girard’s mayoral bid.
- Former State Senator Dick Danais (District 20)
- Former State Senator David Boutin (District 16)
- Former Hooksett School Board Member John Lyscars
- Right to Know advocate Harriet Cady
- Former Committeewoman Debra Langton (D-at-Large & Ward 2)
- Former Committeeman Bob O’Sullivan (R-Ward 2)
- Former Committeeman Rick Dumont (R-Ward 2)
- Former Alderman Tom Robert (R-Ward 11)
- Former Alderman Real Pinard (I-Ward 6)
- Former Alderman and School Committeeman Russ Ouellette (D-Ward 11)
- Concerned Taxpayers of Manchester Chairman Jim Gaudet
- Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers Chairman Ed Naile (a Democrat)
- Former Manchester Republican Committee Chairman Jerry Thibodeau
- Former Manchester Republican Committee Chairman Jeff Frost
- Alderman Jim Roy (D-Ward 4)
- Former Alderman Tim Reiniger (R-Ward 3)
- Former School Board Member Joe Briggs (I-Ward 2)
- Former State Rep. Kathy Souza (R-Wards 4, 5, 6, & 7)
- Former State Rep. Barbara Hagan (R-Ward 10)
- Senator Bob Smith
- State Senator and former candidate for Governor and US Senate Jim Rubens
- General Don Bolduc
- NH Right to Life (a non-partisan organization)