Anchor: Hon. Mike Lopez has organized a series of veterans groups in our listening area to come forward and present themselves and their activities to our audience.
Sponsor: Glenn’s Appliance and More
Browse the Veterans In Our Own Backyard segment archives.
About Veterans in Our Own Backyard:
Thanks to the efforts of local and long time veterans advocate Mike Lopez, we will feature a Greater Manchester Area veteran, organization, event or issue in this segment. So often, we hear about these organizations, but have little knowledge of the important work they do not just to serve our vets, but also our communities. It’s our belief that we can’t really be of assistance to our veterans, nor can we leverage the assistance they are prepared to offer to our communities, if we really don’t know who they are or understand what they’re trying to do.
This is a unique look at the the veterans and their organizations in the twenty two communities from where we look go get news from our own backyard so we can connect local people, places and things!
About Mike Lopez
First Mike is a Husband, Father, Grandfather, and Veteran Community Leader.
- Manchester, NH Alderman at Large 2000-2011.
- Served on several committees of the Board of Mayor and Alderman, including: Human Resources, Community Improvement and Administration.
- Past Chairman for the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. 6 years.
- Mike was the deciding vote to move the Civic Center to what it is today.
- US Army (retired) 1955-1977. 22 years.
- Vietnam Veteran.
- American Legion Past Post Commander Henry J. Sweeney Post #2 and Member of the Sweeney Post Executive Board 30 years. Gold Card Member.
- Chairman and Member of the American Legion State convention for 8 years.
- Member and Trustee of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8214.
- Life Member Disable American Veterans.
- Chairman of Veterans & Memorial Day Parades 1972-1992.
- Life member Knights of Columbus 5260.
- Member of Elks NH #146.
- WWII Memorial at Veterans Park, Building Co-Chairman $250,000 project.
- Postal Letter Carrier (retired) 20 years.
- Elected member of the City Charter Commission 1996.
- Southwest Little League President three times, member for 25 years.
- Parks and Recreation & Cemetery. 18 years.
- Chairman of the Police Athletic League 1992-1997; Director 1998-2002.
- Weed and Seed Steering Committee Member.
- Elected Charter Commission in 1996 and again in 2012.
- Serve as Director for the New Hampshire Cemetery Board of Advisers.
- Serve on the New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol & Other Drug use professional.
Education: Columbia College, Missouri BA Liberal Arts 1975
Personal: Married Wife Fernande Lopez (Champagne) five Children.