Bedford Home Invasion Said to be Random Act of Violence

Officials say two are in custody, extradition required.

BEDFORD NH April 12, 2013 5:30 PM–Bedford Police Chief John Bryfonski and Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance, flanked by law enforcement officials from multiple agencies announced the issuance of an arrest warrant in the home invasion of Dr. Eduardo Quesada and his late wife Sonia.Bryfonski said a warrant had been issued for the arrest of Charles Normil, whose last known address is 328 High Street in Lawrence, MA.  Bryfonski and LaFrance said that undisclosed Massachusetts law enforcement officials had Normil in custody, but that he was in their custody on other charges.  Extradition proceedings are underway.

The second suspect in the case is in federal custody.  LaFrance said she would release no information regarding the suspect, except to say that he is being held under the jurisdiction of a US attorney.

Normil has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, one count of burglary, one count of aggravated felonious sexual assault, two counts of first degree assault and one count of falsifying physical evidence.

The details of the crime scene were released and grim.  In addition to being raped, Mrs. Quesada, who has since taken her own life, was brutally physically assaulted multiple times, resulting in the loss of sight in her left eye.  Dr. Quesada was stabbed multiple times in the head with a screwdriver, resulting in facial fractures, lacerations and bleeding on the brain.  Officials said the physical harm inflicted on the Quesadas hampered the investigation as they were in no condition to provide information to investigators.

Bryfonski said that the motive for the crime appeared to be “financial” and said the victims did not know their assailants.  LaFrance confirmed, in reply to our question, that the attack was random inasmuch as there is no connection between the Quesadas and Normil.  Whether or not one exists between the Quesadas and the unnamed second suspect is not known.

The investigation, which has taken nearly five months, involved not only the Bedford Police Department, but also the FBI, DEA, Fish and Game, State Police, Attorney General’s Office, the US Attorney’s Office and the Essex County District Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts.  When asked why multiple federal agencies were involved Bryfonski said the BPD reached out to various agencies with the assets and jurisdiction needed to complete the investigation.  When asked whether or not we should read into the involvement of agencies like the DEA to discern a motive, he said “no.”

LaFrance declined to answer questions regarding the nature of the criminals and whether or not they acted alone or were part of a gang or other criminal organization.  She declined to answer several questions regarding the case noting that she would be personally prosecuting it and said there were ethical restrictions on what she could say to the public.

Bryfonski defended the department’s withholding of information from the public, for which he’d come under heavy criticism from former Town Council Chairman Bill Dermody.  The investigation was “very complex in nature,” he said and that non-disclosure was “essential and critical to the investigation and the results” announced today.  BPD, he said, will continue to employ all “legal and prudent means” to protect the town, which he said remained one of the safest in New Hampshire, and that in today’s “mobile society,” where people move freely across borders, it remains essential for citizens to help the police protect them.

“If you see something, say something,” Bryfonski urged residents, noting that vigilance of the public helps the police do their work.