Citizens for a Strong New Hampshire has released a statement calling on First District Congresswoman Carol Shea Porter to release a listing of all the public town hall meetings she’s claimed to have. According to an article published in the National Journal on Monday, “Shea-Porter[‘s] spokeswoman Marjorie Connolly dismissed charges that her boss is an absentee congresswoman as untrue and listed 10 public town hall events since Shea-Porter took office in 2013.” Throughout Shea-Porter’s term in the 113th Congress, Citizens for a Strong New Hampshire has been actively calling Shea Porter to hold real, public town hall meetings with her constituents. She has refused to do so. C S N H’s statement said that considering she said they were “public,” they were also requesting proof that she’d advertised each of these alleged ten town halls to her constituents to allow for their attendance either via her website, mail, an e-newsletter, or social media, prior to the alleged events.
Looks like Governess Margaret Wood Hassan’s got some splainin’ to do on the state budget. Earlier this week, Hassan blamed lower than anticipated revenues and increased Medicaid case loads for missing the surplus targets set in state law when the budget was passed. Now, Senate President Chuck Morse (R-Salem) has come forward saying that September revenues are right on track. Quote “New Hampshire revenues continue to track very closely to the conservative estimates that Senate Republicans insisted be built into the budget. September revenues were within about one-percent of the monthly goal, and we continue to run ahead of the forecast for the year.” Morse continued, quote “These figures reinforce that New Hampshire does not have a revenue problem. We have a spending problem, as demonstrated by Governor Hassan’s $ 2 2 million budget shortfall. The Legislature and the public deserve up to date information on state agency spending, information that the Governor has refused to share.”
News from our own backyard continues after this.
Manchester School Superintendent Debra Livingston said there will be a report issued to the public on what happened at West High School last week. In an interview with Girard at Large yesterday, she said reviews were still ongoing and that the matter would be raised in non-public session with the Board of School Committee. However, she also said a report that wouldn’t compromise school security procedures, and therefore student safety, would be made public to provide an understanding of what happened at West. She also said that the district has asked the state Department of Safety to evaluate the city’s schools and their emergency plans saying that the state had expertise not available locally and that a third party review may provide additional insights into how to better secure the schools. Meanwhile, we’ve learned more about the controversy over whether or not Livingston barred aldermen from the West Side from entering West High. You can bet we’ll have more on that this morning.
The Londonderry Police Department would like to inform the public that the town celebrate Halloween on October thirty first between the hours of 6 and 8 P M. These hours have been chosen to optimize the safety and enjoyment of all participating in the holiday. Homeowners wishing to give treats to their neighborhood ghouls and goblins are asked to put their porch lights on. The Londonderry cops have also published a rather long and impressive list of safety tips, which we’ll post separately and link to from this news cast at girard at large dot com.
Members of the Manchester Police Department will receive the prestigious Congressional Law Enforcement Award tonight at 6:00 o’clock. The awards ceremony will take place at the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training facility in Concord. Receiving the award in recognition of their efforts for the passage and implementation of Senate Bill 1 6 6, which established a standard for department confidentiality and effective peer-to-peer support are: Chief David J. Mara, Lieutenant Michael Begley, Sergeant Nicole Ledoux, Detective Paul Fraitzl, Detective Justin Breton, Officer Matthew Barter, Detective Emmett Macken and Retired Officer Tim Feliciano. The public is invited to attend.
School officials in Goffstown are alerting parents to the hazards of Enterovirus D 6 8 and sending information home on how to prevent it. In a news release sent yesterday, officials acknowledged that parents have likely heard about the infections diseases, no doubt because they’ve heard Manchester Health Officer Tim Soucy raise it repeatedly on this program, and that this year, a very dangerous strain of this virus is further threatening children. The release advises that these viruses are not impacted by Purell and other alcohol-based hand sanitizers and that proper hand washing is critical to keep children and others safe. Parents are encouraged to contact their child’s school nurse for more information. Goffstown Enterovirus-D68 Press release 10-2-14 Enterovirus Information for Parents 10-1-14
That’s news from our own backyard, Girard at Large hour ___ is next!
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/170464949″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]