March 19, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jennifer Yakunovich, Museum Educator
Manchester Historic Association
(603) 622-7531 Ext. 304
(Click on the individual image to view the high definition version, which may be downloaded.)
Manchester Historic Association announces 22nd Annual Historic Preservation Awards
MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Historic Association is pleased to announce the nine honorees who will be presented with this year’s Historic Preservation Awards. Through this awards program the Association recognizes and supports the efforts of individuals, businesses and organizations who have made significant contributions to the preservation of buildings, neighborhoods, traditions and other historic resources in Manchester.
The 22nd Annual Historic Preservation Awards dinner and awards ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Center of New Hampshire Radisson Hotel, 700 Elm Street in Manchester, starting at 5:00 p.m. The Honorary Chair for the event is Joseph B. Reilly, President/CEO of Centrix Bank. Mr. Reilly has served on numerous industry and nonprofit boards, including serving as chairman of the boards of Catholic Medical Center, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, Granite United Way and the Manchester Regional Community Foundation.
The Master of Ceremonies will be Ed Brouder, a local historian, educator and former radio broadcaster. Music will be provided by the Jared Steer Trio. Tickets are $85 each ($75 for Association members), or $600 for a table of 8. Proceeds from the event will benefit the programs of the Manchester Historic Association, a charitable nonprofit organization with a mission to collect, preserve, and share the history of Manchester, New Hampshire. Reservations may be made by calling (603) 622-7531 before April 10, or online at www.manchesterhistoric.org.
The 22nd Annual Historic Preservation Award honorees are:
Leadership and Advocacy Award
Elizabeth L. LaRocca
For her long-time involvement with historic preservation advocacy efforts in Manchester
Elizabeth L. LaRocca, former Trustee, Vice President and President of the Manchester Historic Association, has been a devoted advocate for the cause of historic preservation in Manchester since 1994, when she joined the Association’s Board. She served on the Board until May 2012 and on its Historic Preservation Committee until December 2013.
Renovation of a Historic Public Building Award
City of Manchester
for the Bakersville Elementary School Renovation Project – 20 Elm Street
The Bakersville School at 20 Elm Street started out in around 1884 as a two-story four-room school house. The school was enlarged to three floors and 16 rooms in 1918, and was expanded on its west end in 1990 and 2003. The recent major renovation of the building resulted in many upgrades, including cleaning of the exterior brick surfaces, and the reinstallation of clear glass to sections of the large classroom windows that had been blocked for many years.
Stewardship of a Historic Family Business Award
The Saidel Family
for Merrimack Street Volvo – 40-56 Merrimack Street
This award will recognize the long and colorful history of Merrimack Street Volvo, which was founded by Morris B. Saidel in 1919 and known in its early life as the Merrimack Street Garage. This family business in the heart of downtown Manchester has evolved and changed in reflection of the different eras of its existence. In the 1950s the business specialized in selling foreign and sports cars and during this time the Saidel family built and raced their own streamlined and speedy JOMAR race cars.
St. Mary’s Bank
for St. Mary’s Bank Headquarters Building – 200 McGregor Street
St. Mary’s Bank (also known as La Caisse Populaire Ste Marie) was founded in 1908 as America’s first credit union. In 2013 the Bank completed work on its new headquarters building at 200 McGregor Street. This award will be given in appreciation of the bank’s efforts to incorporate historical elements in the design of the building. The building’s architecture and its interior décor evoke the history of the institution, its Franco-American origins, and its West Side neighborhood.
Restoration of a Historic Building Award
City of Manchester
for the Dearborn Memorial Hall/Odd Fellows Hall Renovation Project – 434 Lake Avenue
The Dearborn Memorial Building was completed in 1908-1909 as the headquarters of Oak Hill Lodge No. 97 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization. The building was eventually used for other purposes, and gradually it became run down. The City of Manchester bought the building in June 2010, and recently restored it to its former glory. It now houses nonprofit agencies that serve the local community.
David C. and Kim Hughes
for their historic home at 17 Oak Street
This eclectic Victorian house was built in c. 1885 by Anna Belle and George H. Wilson. Mr. Wilson sold boots and shoes in his store on Elm Street. It was later the home of Dr. George M. Watson, a physician and surgeon. He used the front parlor as an office for seeing his patients. The home is remarkably well preserved, and contains fine woodwork and many other original details. The property includes the original carriage house, now used as a garage.
Adaptive Reuse Award
Brady Sullivan Properties
for the Lofts at Mill Number One- 300 Bedford Street
This structure was the first textile mill constructed by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company for its own use. It was built in three sections – two in 1841 and the central connecting bell tower section in 1860. Since the demise of the Amoskeag in 1936, the building has seen a variety of commercial uses. Its recent conversion into loft apartments marks a milestone in the history of the Millyard as this is the first housing created in the district. The building features many original elements throughout that evoke its industrial past.
Traditional Trade Award
Kay Skilogianis and Regis Chagnon
for Kay’s Bakery – 443 Lake Avenue
This award recognizes the importance of this business as the type of establishment that has always been an essential part of any neighborhood. This traditional bakery in the area known as the Hollow is typical of the many small locally-owned retail businesses that once were prevalent in Manchester. For 27 years Kay’s Bakery had produced and sold foods that are in keeping with the time-honored traditions of Manchester’s Greek and Franco-American communities.
Restoration of a Historic Site Award
Friends of Stark Park
for the Stark Family Gravesite Restoration Project – North River Road
Stark Park was established in 1896 as a public park. In recent years the volunteers of the nonprofit Friends of Stark Park have made many improvements to the park, in cooperation with the City of Manchester. The organization’s most recent endeavor was the Stark Family Gravesite Restoration Project, completed in late 2013. This effort, funded by grants and public donations, resulted in a restored, beautified and secure gravesite that appropriately honors Revolutionary War General John Stark and his family.
The Manchester Historic Association operates the Millyard Museum at 200 Bedford Street in Manchester, New Hampshire, at the corner of Commercial and Pleasant streets in the historic Amoskeag Millyard. Museum hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The organization’s Research Center is located at 129 Amherst Street in downtown Manchester, in the Victory Park Historic District. Research Center hours are Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and by appointment. Please call (603) 622-7531 for more information, or visit the website www.manchesterhistoric.org.
– END –